We’ve seen images and clips all over the internet on BMW’s tech-laden, all-electric BMW i7, headlined (literally!), by the stunning 8k resolution cinema screen for rear passengers. But if we dial it down a couple of notches and investigate other variants in the range, there are actually plenty of interesting nuggets of information we thought you might be keen to find out too. Let’s go!
1) The wheelbase of the new 7 Series is 3,215mm, 5mm longer than the Mercedes-Benz EQS all-electric luxury saloon. It’s a numbers game after all…
2) BMW shared that there will be a security vehicle based on the new 7 Series to follow at a later date. A bullet-proof, M “Plus” lux-limo for VVIPs, perhaps?
3) BMW Group’s flexibility in terms of manufacturing is amplified with the new 7 Series - this is the first time a BMW model with a choice of a conventional engine, plug-in hybrid or full EV has been manufactured on a single production line.
4) Headlight units include backlit crystals from Swarovski. Reminds us of when these Mercedes-Benz keys were given the Swarovski treatment, too.
5) Fixed panoramic glass roof comes as standard, and has a transparent surface larger than any rival. A version with LED light threads comes as an option.
6) You can option an interior furnished in a mixture of Merino leather and cashmere wool - a first for BMW.
7) The car’s interior camera enables snapshots and transfer of interior images onto the customer’s smartphone. Selfies, or wefies on the go for you, sir?
8) Six-cylinder petrol BMW 735i with mild hybrid tech will be available in markets outside of Europe. Not quite the tech-forward 7 Series we envisioned, but makes plenty of sense for some markets.