In spite of being cramped and the risk of getting caught, 22% say sex on four wheels is a fantastic experience. However, 32% think sex in a car is overrated.
Those who have never had car sex are evenly split between thinking a bunk-up on the back seat is something they’d like to try and those who think it’s just plain wrong.
There’s a clear split between the genders. Almost one-in-three men (28%) say sex in a car is fantastic. Just 18% of women feel the same way. While 31% of women think car sex is wrong just 11% of men agree.
Autoquake’s research uncovered a generational divide, too, but not the one you might expect. While only 13% of 18-24 year olds have tried sex in a car and really enjoyed it, 39% of over 55s say car sex is fantastic. Of all the age groups surveyed, old-timers are least like to find the idea objectionable – just 11% of over 55s said sex in a car was wrong.
Autoquake’s CEO, Dermot Halpin, said: “We’re surprised that so many of drivers have used their cars as mobile bedrooms, and impressed that the older generation are leading the way.”
Halpin had this advice for anyone considering sex on four wheels: “If you are thinking of having sex in a car this festive season, don’t forget to leave the heating on.”
To help anyone prepared to go to such extreme lengths to be close to the one they love, Autoquake has compiled its own Top 10 Cars To Have Sex In:
1. Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - The huge load area makes the big Merc perfect for amorous couples.
2. The Volkswagen Beetle (original) - Making love in a Bug is rather snug, but if something’s difficult it’s also more satisfying.
3. Ferrari 458 Italia - If you are going to have sex in a Ferrari, do it in a semi-auto so there’s no danger of injuring yourself on an ice-cold gearstick.
4. Mini Cooper - Recreate the swinging 60s by swinging in a Mini.
5. Volvo V70 - The dog lover’s favourite makes the perfect car for, err, dogging.
6. Volkswagen Golf GTI - An efficient, satisfying car for efficient, satisfying sex.
7. Alfa Romeo Spider - The romantic choice for the more mature lady and a recent graduate.
8. Rolls-Royce Ghost - Why not do it in the lap of luxury? Just mind the upholstery.
9. Aston Martin Vanquish - You’ll be keeping the British end up, as Roger Moore once said.
10. Land Rover Discovery - Whatever the weather, the Discovery will get you to that quiet rural car park.