CitroŽn has released the first images of New C4 Picasso, which will be launched this summer. A true expression of CitroŽn’s ‘Creative Technologie’, the ‘Technospace’ MPV stands out with bold, expressive design with dynamic lines, hi-tech headlights and LED 3D effect rear lights, a†loft-style, bright and spacious cabin with quality materials and massaging and extending relax seats for a first-class travelling experience†and creative technologies including a full touch driving interface, 12” HD panoramic screen, 360 VISION, PARK ASSIST, active cruise control, active seatbelts and ultrasonic blind spot monitoring system.
The New C4 Picasso is based on the EMP2 (Efficient Modular Platform 2), a new PSA platform, which features, a†compact exterior, with†benchmark interior†space†and a†record boot capacity†(537 litres VDA) and a†weight reduction of 140 kg†compared to the previous-generation vehicle and a strong emphasis on aerodynamics.†A range of engines optimised for increased efficiency. A version emitting†98g/km of CO2, a record in this category, will be available. The New C4 Picasso will also be the first CitroŽn with a†BlueHDi*†Euro 6 engine which features a SCR (selective catalytic reduction) module. And also, a†new balance between†comfort†and†road holding†with power steering and drive train optimised for a†smooth, lively performance†in all situations.
Taking advantage of the new EMP2 platform, means there is a reduced overhang†(-70mm at the front); a lower engine block (-40mm to -50mm) and floor (-20mm) and wider tracks (+82mm at front and +31mm at the rear). The side signature, a C shape in chrome, adds personality to the side profileThe assertive front end features new look chevrons which extend out to spectacular hi-tech lights. Slim LED daytime-running lights, positioned just above the headlamps, flank the radiator grille.†The rear LED lights, inspired by CitroŽn’s concept cars, create a futuristic 3D effect, whilst the enveloping tailgate conveys roominess, strength and dynamism.
New C4 Picasso will be offered in a range of eight colours from Shark Grey, Aluminium, Hickory Brown and Obsidien Black to radiant Ruby Red, Teles Blue and Kyanos Blue. A range of Alloy wheel designs are also available in three sizes – 16”, 17” and 18”.
New C4 Picasso features an uncluttered ambience that includes a panoramic windscreen and large glass roof which bathe the cabin in light.†The modern design is also evident in the quality of the materials and attention to detail with new technologies that improve the durability of the materials used like:
- new varnish on the paintwork
- new soft paint application technology
- new chrome technologies
- full-grain leather for greater strength
The brand new standard 7” touchpad features seven touch-sensitive buttons and controls all the in-car functions such as dual-zone air conditioning, navigation, audio, telephone and driving aids.
A 12’’ panoramic HD screen displays essential driving information and can be configured by the driver at any time to show data for either the navigation system or driving aids. A personal photo can even be displayed using a USB as a screen backdrop. The car becomes a real home from home.
With the new modular EMP2 platform offering a longer wheelbase and increased cabin space, the New C4 Picasso is more compact on the outside with more space on the inside than the previous generation model, setting new benchmarks for the segment.
New C4 Picasso is 40mm shorter but with a 55mm longer wheelbase for class-beating interior space. Boot space is increased by 40-litres to 537-litres VDA – the best in the segment – and expands up to 630-litres with the rear seats pushed forward.
New C4 Picasso also sets new standards of modularity. The front passenger seat folds forwards to increase load space by more than 2.5m whilst extending the view for rear passengers. Rear passengers also benefit from three individual, full size seats that can be folded flat or tilted for increased comfort or fore-and-aft adjusted for increased flexibility. Knee space (159mm) is on a par with the best-in-class.
There are a number of clever and convenient storage spaces around the cabin including LED illuminated compartments in the central dashboard with an AUX-in, USB port and 220V socket – ideal for stowing devices whilst charging. On clutch less versions there is a removable console, mounted between the driver and passenger seats with numerous other storage spaces under the seats and in the doors.
The New C4 Picasso is 140kg lighter than its predecessor thanks to the new EMP2 platform, which uses aluminium, very high yield strength steel and a composite rear floor cut to weight by 70 kg. The body style cuts a further 70 kg through optimised exterior dimensions and new materials such as an aluminium bonnet and composite tailgate. The significant weight loss means New C4 Picasso now weighs the same as the C3 Picasso.
The reduced weight, emphasis on aerodynamics (CdA of 0.71) and optimised engine range significantly improves efficiency with emissions falling by an average 30g/km compared to the previous generation model.
At the same time, New C4 Picasso is the first compact MPV with an internal combustion engine to deliver sub-100g/km CO2†emissions. The e-HDi 90 Airdream engine, mated to the new 6-speed clutchless gearbox, emits just 98g/km with fuel economy of 74mpg – a record in the class.
Alongside the 6-speed manual gearbox, a new 6-speed clutchless gearbox is available. The ETG6 (6-speed Efficient Tronic Gearbox) delivers improved performance and can be integrated into the e-HDi 90 and e-HDi 115 engines.
Drivers can switch from manual to automated mode at any time. The new gearbox features a creep function and optimised pedal mapping, adjusting power effectively for smoother start-ups and enhanced driveability. Gear change speeds are modulated more precisely, based on driver input, for improved performance and comfort. Optimised gear shift patterns improve efficiency further. An automatic 6-speed gearbox will also be available from first-half 2014.
COMFORT & ROADHOLDING
The new generation C4 Picasso maintains the recognised comfort of the model line with improved handling and easier manoeuvrability. The reduced weight and lower centre of gravity establish a new balance between comfort and road holding for improved driveability, safety and suspension.
Refinements – many of which were made possibly by the new EMP2 platform include
- Shock absorbers positioned vertically and a vertical axle bolt above the centre of the wheel.
- Electric power steering that dampens vibrations transmitted from the road to the steering column
- Damping of the front sub frame to reduce road noise
- A new dual-material acoustic shim on the rear axle
- Active cruise control†with a radar sensor in the front bumper maintaining a constant distance with the vehicle in front by detecting slowdown in speed and warning the driver. The system acts on the accelerator and engine brake to reduce or increase speed within a limit 15.5mph. When the road is clear, the car automatically returns to the set speed.
- Active driver and passenger front seatbelts†with motors that pull the belt tight automatically in the event of danger. At the same time, in relation with the†video LDWS†(Lane Departure Warning System), the belt vibrates to warn the driver if the car crosses a line.
- An image processing function for the miniature camera built into the rear view mirror, to manage†automatic high beam operation, i.e. automatically activating and deactivating high beam lights depending on lighting and traffic conditions. This function is also used by the new-generation more predictive lane departure warning system (video LDWS).
- An ultrasonic†blind spot monitoring system†with an orange light in the door mirror that warns drivers if a vehicle is present in their blind spot. Relying on four sensors in the front and rear bumpers, this system is active from 7.5mph – 87mph, scanning the area up to the exterior door mirror at the front, extending to around 5m behind the rear bumper and 3.5m on either side.
- CitroŽn eTouch, which provides localised emergency call and assistance (depending on the country), two free 24/7 services relying on a built-in SIM card, which ensure that the vehicle can be located promptly and assistance sent out in the event of an incident or accident.